11.17.2010

Las Vegas: Vodka for the Soul

Rachel Walla
When I first arrived in Vegas, I felt something like what I imagine cattle to feel like as they are being shipped off to a stock yard.  Everyone is loaded up, crammed together and moved out to their individual hotels to consume until they are cut off. 
The longer I stayed however; I decided I felt less like a cow and more like I was part of some vital internal organ of the world.  It’s like while we all live our day to day routines; wake up, go to work, do the job, go home and do it again.  Some are happier than others but either way; the lot in life gets a little stressful and a little monotonous at times.  So we leave our cubicles, clipboards and computers behind to explore something a little wild and entertaining and finally give in to all the urges society and the thin veneer of civilization have had us holding back.  We are pumped into the Vegas organ, replenished with raucous good times, entertainment and a much needed break from the day to day routine, then exit depleted of sleep and cash reserves.  We return back to our jobs and back to civilization with a renewed vigor due to being somewhat relieved everywhere can’t function like Vegas.  At least, that was my experience.
I spent a total of 3 days in Las Vegas on the strip.  I think if I were to compare the experience to anything I’d say it was like being locked in a closet full of Christmas lights and spinning in circle until you either pass out or throw up.  The sun rises and sets and has no effect over the activities going on throughout the strip.  Nothing is taboo, everyone is on vacation and everything is there just to entertain.  It was amazing; I had more fun than I’ve had in a very, very, long time.  But it wasn’t the type of vacation that left me feeling renewed; it was the type of vacation I felt I needed at least two days to recover from, maybe more for my liver.  I came back to normal life feeling I had to flee Vegas or be destroyed by the giant party machine lifestyle.  I won’t be able to think of that vacation without smiling with all the crazy memories of me and my girl friends dancing, drinking and living it up for the short time we were there.  All in all, it was good for the soul, bad for the body and a good break from civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment